Re: apt-get? non stable debs?

On Sun, 2002-06-30 at 13:36, Mike Egglestone wrote:
> Hi,
> What would one do if they were running a "stable" box, and wanted
> a package that was only offered in "testing" or "unstable"?
>
> Would you edit your sources.list to point to "testing"...
> apt-get update
> apt-get install packagename
> edit sources.list back to "stable"...
> apt-get update

The surest way to do such (without upgrading to the testing/unstable
distributions) is to grab the source code + diffs + dsc file for that
package, edit the control file et. al (to satisfy the dependencies),
then compile it (via dpkg-buildpackage). Note that you might need to
backport a number of packages just to achieve this feat (I did this when
I backported PHP4.2 from unstable to stable. Darn too many packages that
needs to be backported).

--

  -->paolo

Paolo Alexis Falcone
pfalcone@free.net.ph
GnuPG KeyID 0xEADFF6F4

Tel# (632)6429577
Fax# (632)6429561
Mobile# +639174379283
"You are a software developer. On the cutting edge. You need the
latest and greatest in computer technology. That's why you use, uh,
Unix. Yeah. Anyway, even if your operating system harks back to the
1960s, you definitely can't live without the most modern software
development and management systems available" -- quote adapted