Re: apt-get? non stable debs?

On Saturday 29 June 2002 10:36 pm, Mike Egglestone wrote:
> Hi,
> What would one do if they were running a "stable" box, and wanted
> a package that was only offered in "testing" or "unstable"?
>
> Would you edit your sources.list to point to "testing"...
> apt-get update
> apt-get install packagename
> edit sources.list back to "stable"...
> apt-get update
>
> Is there a better way to achieve this?
>
> Thanks
> Mike

Yes, it's called "pinning" (don't ask me why...). It allows you
to keep one distribution selected as the default (i.e. stable), and
one or more others that are usable if explictly requested. If you
pull a package from the non-default distribution, all dependencies
will also be pulled along with it.

Do a google for "preferences" "apt" and "pinning" - it should give
you all the required info.

If you just want to know what you need to tweak, create a file
called /etc/apt/preferences that contains the following:

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 777

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 333

Then:

- set up your sources.list file to refer to all the distributions
you're interested in
- do an apt-get update

Once this has all cooked, you'll be able to use apt-get in two ways:

apt-get <foo>

  will pull the stable version of package <foo>

apt-get -t testing <foo>

  will pull the testing version of package <foo> and all its dependencies

Hope this helps

- Derek