Re: Quicken under debian

On Friday 28 June 2002 07:59 pm, Brian P. Flaherty wrote:
> Neal Lippman <nl@lippman.org> writes:
> > I am wondering if anyone could recommend a solution for using
> > Quicken on my debian woody system. Quicken is essentially the ONLY
> > windows application that I still need, and thus is the only reason
> > that my laptop still has windows98 loaded on it.
>
> I was in exactly the same situation for several months.  Then I put
> Vmware on my machine and that was better than having a dedicated
> Windows laptop.  But, it still wasn't good enough because I just hated
> using it.  Windows was an abomination on my otherwise pleasant
> machine.  Also, Vmware takes too long to boot and is a lot of overhead
> just to run a check book balancing program.

	Right here is where you made a mistake. :--)  NEVER close it until you
SUSPEND your guest O/S. Then, it pops right open, and all you have to do is
RESUME and Windon't is ready to give you all the bsod that you can ask for.
All of my O/S's are running, albeit SUSPENDED. It takes seconds to open
VMWare AND the O/S within.

> So, I made the jump to
> cbb (check book balancer) and have been quite happy with it.  It does
> not supply all the stuff Quicken does, but it does a lot and if you
> want something you can write it up.  Also, I have come to like being
> able to see my databases in Emacs!
>
> cbb imported my quicken files pretty well.  If I remember correctly, I
> had to edit the date and/or entry number because it wasn't in the form
> cbb was expecting.  This was a while ago, though, so it might work
> now.  Also, I was using an old Quicken.
>
> HTH.
>
> Brian Flaherty

Have a Grand Day, Brian! (which is likely cuz yer running a REAL O/S)  :--)

- --
                           OutCast Computer Consultants of Central Oregon
                                 http://outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
                                 griz@outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
      (541) 504-1388  /\IRC: 205.227.115.251:6667:#OutCasts /\ICQ: UIN 138930