Re: hard drive NOT found during install!

Waheed Islam <wislam@wislam.co.uk> wrote:

Hi,

Could you PLEASE help!

during installation...

my ide controller card is not being recognised by both, potato and woody.
It's an Acard AEC6280 Controller (no RAID, includes BIOS).

The card is new and works perfectly in Win98, both my primary and secondary hdd's are connected to it.

The drive's are too large to be recognised by my motherboards' controller / bios. So that's no alternative.
(Both hdd's are Western Digital 40gig Caviar).

website for controller: http://www.acard.com/eng/product/adapter/pc/ide/aec-6280.html The linux drivers are avail from: http://161.58.88.33/download/linux/driver/ide/aec6280_ver10.tar (un-compiled c).
And (i think) are included in the 2.4.x kernel versions.

I have tried the udma66 flavor of potato which supposedly includes support for the aec62xx cards (according to kernel-config).

I have read many how-to's and docs, no success.
Any suggestions, since this is my last hope to get potato installed.

Is there a way to execute the potato installation using a brand new pre-compiled kernel? I don't have another linux box, thus can't compile a new kernel with support for the controller myself.

PLEASE HELP!

And thanks for reading / answering.

This is a just a guess, since I don't have access to that controller, BUT you just "might' get lucky with the "bf4" flavor of boot floppies from "testing" / Woody. This particuar set has been built around the 2.4.18 kernel, and they just might have included support for that controller...dunno. In any case, you will know rather quickly when you put in the "boot" disk... the messages will tell you if it found it or not. If it is found, you can proceed with the rest of the install.

I would recommend concentrating on Woody and give up on Potato. The changes needed to run a 2.4.X kernel are just too great to make on install media, IMHO (unless you are a real guru). Woody is about to be released as "stable" quite soon, so you probably are NOT giving up much stability, and you will gain quite a lot in flexibility, IMHO.

Cheers & Good Luck!
-Don Spoon-