Re: network configuration problem

On Fri, 2002-06-28 at 07:49, Lars Jensen wrote:
> Initially when I first set up my system (potato), I configured the
> network for DHCP. How do I change it to a manual configuration of DNS,
> gateway and permanent IP? Which files do I need to change? Is there a
> tool for this?
>
> Also, how do I change my host name.

Your hostname is set in /etc/hostname.

DNS is dealt with in /etc/resolv.conf like so:

search <your local domain here>
nameserver <your DNS server here>

The "search" line is optional.

To configure the network card itself, you want to look at
/etc/network/interfaces

Here's the relevant stanza from mine:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static