Re: Question regarding DL of Debian

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 12:14:30AM -0400, Ian D. Stewart wrote:

> On Thursday 27 June 2002 23:07, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 06:29:15PM -0400, David J. Weaver wrote:
> > > I am in the US, but it sounds like (on the website) that I have to
> > > download Non-US files to get US encryption?  Is that right?
> >
> > Yes.  They do this to get around the fact that the US has some rather
> > braindead cryptography laws...
>
> Granted.  But they are decidedly less braindead than they were ten years
> ago...

s/laws/regulations/

AFAICT, it was/is the implementing regulations rather than the actual
law where the cryptography exports were/are restricted.  Though
regulation /may/ actually be harder to change than the enabling
legislation unless the changes are ramrodded from the top down or a
court invalidates the regs.

There's apparently a treaty relating to this matter called the
"Wassenaar Arrangement" and some Executive Orders thrown in for good
measure...

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>