Re: Canonical Way to install Java

On  0, Craig Dickson <crdic@pacbell.net> wrote:
> Kent West wrote:
>
> > I can get Java installed and working in my browsers, but at the risk of
> > starting a Holy Way, what's the canonical way to install Java (run-time
> > only needed, not dev. kit)?
> >
> > From Blackdown? From Sun? From Debian's site, which seems to only have
> > JDK1.1 for Sid?
> >
> > I would suspect that Sun's JRE is *the* JRE, whereas Blackdown's might
> > work better with Linux, whereas Debian's is more "official".
>
> I wouldn't bother with Java 1.1 at this point.
>
> The Java you get from Sun will require you to have the version of the C
> runtime library that it was compiled for, which is older than what Woody
> or Sid use at this point. (I don't recall offhand what libc Potato
> uses.) It's available in the oldlibs section, however, so you can get
> the Sun packages to work without too much trouble. I think
> libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1 is the one you need. Of course, Sun doesn't offer
> .debs, so you'll be working outside the Debian package system; annoying,
> but doable.

This is not true.  I have Java 1.3.1_02-b02 from Sun running fine on a
woody system with only libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 installed.  It runs both
server-type systems and gui-apps (eg robocode).

[snip]

Tom
--
Tom Cook

"Chaos Theory is a new theory invented by scientists panicked by the thought that the public were beginning to understand the old ones."
	- Mike Barfield

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au