Re: Debian Newbie

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 08:23:05AM +0100, Tom Badran wrote:
> Hi everybody. Im a mandrake convert whos fallen in love with debian.
> Best installer ive used yet :)

A rare compliment for the Debian installer. :)

> I just wanted to know what the various 'debians' (SID, woody, potatoe)
> people refer to.

You're wondering what they are? potato is the stable version - solid,
but nearly two years old. woody is testing, a slightly less volatile way
to track the bleeding edge; it will be declared stable and released real
soon now, pretty much as soon as the last few security issues are sorted
out. sid is the unstable distribution in which most of the development
happens; it's mostly for developers or the brave.

Cheers,