Re: ssh difference v3.3 vs. 3.4 ???

Lo, on Wednesday, June 26, Colin Watson did write:

> On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 03:39:49PM -0400, Reid Gilman wrote:
> > 3.4 contains bugfixes for a few problems I don't completely understand
> > but I believe that there was a bug that could allow root access.
>
> If you're running 3.3 with privilege separation enabled (as it is by
> default), most remote root exploits become remote exploits of the sshd
> user, which is considerably less serious.

So, I'm running ssh 3.3 as packaged for woody.  I don't have
UserPrivilegeSeparation turned off in any config files, but I still see
the following:

[nanny-ogg:~]$ ps aux | grep [s]shd
root       268  0.0  0.2  2788  716 ?        S    06:19   0:00 /usr/sbin/sshd

sshd is still running as root.  Is this what I should be seeing?  I
would have thought, from the descriptions of privilege separation, that
this process would be running as `sshd'.  Or is there some other
access-control mechanism going on here?

I'm also observing this on the 3 potato machines I administer as well,
though of course they're running ssh version 3.3p1-0.0potato6.

> 3.4 added fixes for the real problems rather than just bandaging over
> them.

Any word on when 3.4 will be available as a .deb?

Richard