new ssh and "Accepted hostbased" in logs

Hey everybody,

I've noticed that since upgrading to the woody/updates ssh package
(3.3p10.0woody1) My logs show "Accepted hostbased" instead of "Accepted
publickey" whenever a user logs in with a public key. This is using
protocol version 2, with clients of the same version (running on sid),
and also for other users whose client versions I haven't yet checked.

I've never used hostbased authentication before, and I'm wondering if
this is just a logging error, or if I've somehow mucked up the configs
so that it is using hostbased. When I connect without an agent, it does
ask for my key passphrase, and ssh -v looks to me like it is using
public key:

debug1: authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug1: next auth method to try is publickey
debug1: userauth_pubkey_agent: testing agent key /home/vineet/.ssh/identity
debug1: input_userauth_pk_ok: pkalg ssh-rsa blen 149 lastkey 0x8094400 hint -1
debug1: ssh-userauth2 successful: method publickey

And here's excerpts from sshd_config on the server:
# rhosts authentication should not be used
RhostsAuthentication no
# Don't read the user's ~/.rhosts and ~/.shosts files
IgnoreRhosts yes
# For this to work you will also need host keys in /etc/ssh_known_hosts
RhostsRSAAuthentication no
# similar for protocol version 2
HostbasedAuthentication no
# Uncomment if you don't trust ~/.ssh/known_hosts for
# RhostsRSAAuthentication
#IgnoreUserKnownHosts yes

Also, this is happening on 3 different machines (but all with the same
version). So that leads me to guess that it's less likely a
configuration error.

So it looks to me like it's just logging it incorrectly. Has anyone else
noticed this behavior? Any other incorrectly-reported auth methods
you've seen? I just tried password (just to test) and it does show up as
"Accepted password" in auth.log .

I'll file a bug; I was just curious whether anyone else saw something
similar.

good times,
Vineet
--