Re: Error in my syslog file

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Andrew Pritchard wrote:

> I've noticed a repeating error in my syslog:
>
> Jun 25 14:55:58 thebox named[195]: sysquery: findns error (NXDOMAIN) on
> thebox.192.in-addr.arpa?
>
> named is running on thebox. What is NXDOMAIN and how can I fix this
> problem. It's a woody box running the latest woody release of bind.

NXDOMAIN means "No such domain". Bind is trying to look up
thebox.192.in-addr.arpa and isn't finding anything. host and dig on my
machine can't either.

Googling for "sysquery: findns error in-addr" reveals, among other
things, an FAQ that shows that the error is caused by there being no NS
record for the zone, or that it's set up incorrectly. Check the record
for your reverse zone.

Additionally, the address that bind can't find looks suspicious itself.
That bit at the front (before the ".in-addr.arpa") must be the components
of the IP address in reverse. If the IP was, say, 192.168.0.1, then the
name would be 1.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa, not thebox.192.in-addr.arpa.

Good luck,
Aaron

--
Aaron Hall           :    The Wile E. Coyote Theorem of Distance:
ahall@vitaphone.net  :    No matter how fast you go, you'll never get there.

Macintosh/UNIX Geek, Network Flack, and...eh, whatever.