Re: Centralized /etc/passwd ?

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Hubert Chan wrote:

> [...]
>
> Paladin> can the root account be centralized too?
>
> I don't know if it can or not, but it is probably not a good idea.
> Consider what happens if your LDAP server goes down for some reason.  So
> you say to yourself, "OK, I'll just log in as root, and .... Doh!  Can't
> log in because the LDAP server is down."

Not to mention the security implications. Imagine one of someone finds out
the root password. Suddenly all your machines are compromised. I have 3
machines at home up and running 24/7 and the root password is different on
all of them.

Andrew

Whether you think you can,
Or whether you think you can't,