Re: sounding system bell in a shell script run from toolbar icon

G'Day,

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Shawn Lamson wrote:
> > here's my question:
> > xterm in X.  But when i execute it via the menu/toolbar icon it won't
> > sound the system bell ( i assume it has something to do with echo )
> now i am echoing a CTRL-G to a /tmp/sound$$ file and then catting it -
> it works!  But let me know if there is a better way that you know of.

Have a look for the command beep, it allows you to make all sorts of beeps
using the command line.

If thats not an option it may be possible to echo ^G to /dev/console which
I have found makes a beep everytime, no matter how it is running. One
thing I have found however with sending ^G's is that there needs to be a
delay if you want more than 1 beep otherwise it just buffers the beep into
1.. if your after more then give the beep command a try.

Cheereo,
--
                  \\\
                8(o o)8