Startup sequence problem

This is an old issue, but it's started to bug me again.

On my home machine (used to be potato 2.2.19pre17, it's now woody 2.4.18),
ipmasq and openafs-client don't start up correctly from /etc/init.d.  The
scripts are there, and appear to be linked correctly, but the following
happens:

- With ipmasq, the script says "Initializing IP Masquerading..." but it
doesn't happen - packets are not forwarded. However, if I run *exactly the
same* command as the init.d script is theoretically running:

/usr/sbin/ipmasq --rules /etc/ipmasq/rules

it works fine.

- With openAFS, if I start from the init.d script it hangs the computer -
no error message, but no boot either. (I have to boot into single-user
mode and delete the links in /etc/rc*d to break out.) But if I remove the
links (so it doesn't start automatically) and then do, as root,

/etc/init.d/openafs-client start

again, it works fine.

Does anyone have a suggestion? It's not a big deal (I only reboot about
once a month, so running:

ipmasq
/etc/init.d/openafs-client start

when I do so isn't such a problem) but it's irritating.

Thanks.