nbd and md

Moin,
I got a problem a software-raid 1 (mirror), where one device is a local
disk and the other a network block device. If i disconnect (nbd-client
-d) the nbd, everything works flawlessly, if the network between the two
machines is up. But if the connection is broken and I try to disconnect
the nbd-client, the command hangs for about 50s, and processes working on
the md-device (namely smbd) get i/o-errors.

I want the nbd to fail when the network is down, without any errors and
without such a long timeout. How could I achieve this? Is there a way to
tell the nbd-client that the tcp-connection has gone?

Regards,
Martin