Trouble starting the installation

I've never encountered anything like this before, if somebody has any
ideas (except "possible hardware problem" with no specifics, I've got
that advice already...) I'd be very happy to hear them.

System:
Soltek VIA P4X266 motherboard
Pentium 4 1.6GHz
512Mb 266MHz DIMM
Maxtor 40G hard disk
PowerMagic Radeon 8500LE
SoundBlaster Live! Player
Intel EtherExpress PRO100

Windows XPHome installs fine. When I try to start the latest Debian
installation CD-ROM the following happens. The root.bin starts to load
and after 13 dots the screen gets filled halfway with colorful ASCII
garbage. If I hit enter after the CD-ROM light has gone out the CD-ROM
is read again for a while and the following two lines appears at the
bottom of otherwise garbage filled screen:

boot:

The system does not entirely lock up, CTRL-ALT-DEL works at all times.

--
*         True character is how you act when no one is watching.          *
*           PGP public key available @ http://www.iki.fi/killer           *