Re: AWK: adds "^M" at the end of line?

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Matthew Dalton wrote:

>> On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 05:10:15AM -0400, Abdul Latip wrote:
>>> It is ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc-index.txt
>>> I believe that that file does not have ^Ms.
>>> Basically, what I am doing (once in a while), to get
>>> a recent rfc-index file, and merging each rfc description
>>> (1-3 lines) into one line. The script is actually simple
>>> and stupid.

> The original file is a dos format text file.

Well, netscape 4.7  was the culprit :-(.
"Shift" "click" will save a file with extra HIDDEN "^M"s.
They are hidden, since they will  not appear when using vi (why?).
I usually use "lynx" for downloading the rfc-index.txt file.

> 1. If your awk is mawk, try installing gawk (GNU awk) and see if that
> handles dos text files better.

Yup, the standard things I do whenever install a new system are:
- replace nvi with vim, and mawk with gawk
- delete fingerd, telnetd, talkd, emacs, tcsh, nfs-server

thank you for all clues,

--
Abdul Latip -- Angkasa Internet Junior Staff -- ANGIN.com
http://people.WebIndonesia.com/dullatip/ ----------------