Seagate Travan questions

I am using a Seagate Travan 10 GB uncompressed tape drive to backup a
file server, (on the same machine).  Does anyone have problems with this
drive and/or the driver?  Sometimes it will return with an I/O error and
a tape is in the drive.  Another time it will work fine.  Or it may say
the resource is busy even though no processes are using it.  Also,
sometimes I try to stop the backup process because it is not doing
anything and the process won't die.  I read that sometimes if a driver
gets an I/O error then the process can't be killed and only rebooting
the machine will get rid of the process.  Is this untrue about not able
to kill a process?  What about the tape drive though?  It does seem to
respond better after a reboot.  Has anyone had trouble with this drive
or driver?

Brian