Re: automatic poweroff

Indeed, I had not compiled ACPI support with _all_ ACPI options. I
therefore compiled a new kernel with all options selected.

I now notice that:

- Hitting the power button for less than 4 secs wont do anything.
- Hitting the power button for more than 4 secs will poweroff the
machine immediately (poor fs of mine! ;-)
- 'poweroff -p' doesnt poweroff the machine, but gives me, as the last
line on my screen: "hwsleep-0178 [02] Acpi_enter_sleep_state: Entering
S5". At that moment, ctrl-alt-delete wont respond.

Here are the two files in /etc/acpi directory:

$ cat /etc/acpi/events/powerbtn
# /etc/acpid/events/powerbtn
# This is called when the user presses the power button and calls
# /etc/acpid/powerbtn.sh for further processing.

# Optionally you can specify the placeholder %e. It will pass
# through the whole kernel event message to the program you've
# specified.

# We need to react on "button power.*" and "button/power.*" because
# of kernel changes.

event=button[ /]power
action=/etc/acpi/powerbtn.sh
bono@thebrain:~$ cat /etc/acpi/events/powerbtn

$ cat /etc/acpi/powerbtn.sh
#!/bin/sh
# /etc/acpi/poweroff.sh
# Initiates a shutdown when the power putton has been
# pressed.

/sbin/init 0

Thanks again for your help.

PM, 22