Re: my guess as to where to put the dialup iptables rules

One thing that you could do, since you've installed iptables, is setup
all the chains manually.  Then run (as root)

/etc/init.d/iptables save active

And if you always want them to be the same

/etc/init.d/iptables save inactive.

This will save the chains so that they start up everytime that you
boot the computer and turn off the computer (respectively.).  Of
course, that's if you have the /etc/rc?.d/ directories setup for it.

Look at /etc/defaults/iptables for more info.

Good Luck.

Marshal