Re: FHS: PATH and /opt

on Fri, Jun 21, 2002, Jerome BENOIT (benoit@eie.gr) wrote:
> Bonjour,
>
> I have just install the "/opt" directory,
> and I wonder where to put the directory "/opt/bin"
> in the ENV_PATH varibles (defined in `/etc/login.defs'.

/opt is a "local variants" convention.  Depending on which side of the
bed I wake up on (my usual preferences are top and bottom), I may
symlink it as /usr/local or /usr/local/opt.  I like my roots clean.

Generally, my /opt doesn't reflect the standard bin sbin etc lib
structure, but has a mishmash of directories pertaining to software
packages installed (mostly just OpenOffice).

What I tend to do is symlink the appropriate executables, which really
don't follow a rhyme or reason, to /usr/local/bin, rather than giving
myself a long path.  This tends to require less maintenance over time.

Very much a personal style issue.

Peace.

   Get yer Asterix here: