Re: exim, auth, pam, solutions (addendum)

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 02:14:33PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:

| Here are some solutions to the exim/auth/pam problem.

Here's some more info I should have included in the last message, if I
had remembered before I hit "send" :-).

1)  I haven't tested any of the authenticators with a real-world mail
    client.  I did all my tests runing exim with "-bh ::1" and
    simulating an SMTP connection using stdin/stdout.  I used "PLAIN"
    auth each time, and built the base64 data by running
        $ echo -e -n '\0user\0pass' | base64-encode
    I noticed that $1, $2, $3, etc vary based on where the nulls are
    placed in the original string.  I don't know what real-world
    clients will send or even what the RFC mandates that they send, so
    you might have to change the positional argument references for
    deployment.

2)  I should have included some sample /etc/pam.d/exim files in my last
    message.

-- use /etc/shadow --

auth        required    pam_unix.so
account     required    pam_permit.so

-- use a separate "password" file --
-- (this one was included, thanks to Vineet Kumar) --

auth        required    pam_pwdfile.so pwdfile /etc/exim/auth.passwd
account     required    pam_permit.so

-- use an LDAP server --
-- Note: you'll need to configure /etc/nsswitch.conf,
   /etc/pam_ldap.conf, and /etc/libnss_ldap.conf as well --

# use LDAP for the backend
auth        required    pam_ldap.so
account     required    pam_permit.so

I (still) don't actually know what the "account" label is for ... I
need to read up on it.

HTH,
-D

--

A wise servant will rule over a disgraceful son,
and will share the inheritance as one of the brothers.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/