multiple servers in gdm

Hi,

I am trying to run multiple X servers simultaneously from gdm. I
changed the [servers] section in gdm.conf to look like this:

[servers]
1=/usr/bin/X11/X vt8
0=/usr/bin/X11/X vt7

Now, the server on vt7 works OK, but although there is a login screen
on vt8, I can't really log in: After entering the password, the screen
flashes a couple of times and then returns to the login screen.

/var/log/gdm/:1.log has the following to say about this topic:

(==) ATI(0): Write-combining range (0xfd000000,0x800000)
(**) ATI(0): DPMS enabled
PEXExtensionInit: Couldn't open default PEX font file  Roman_M
(==) ATI(0): Write-combining range (0xfd000000,0x800000)
(**) ATI(0): DPMS enabled
PEXExtensionInit: Couldn't open default PEX font file  Roman_M

So... the server on vt7 can find the font files, but the one on vt8
can't? Could that be some kind of locking issue, or is the problem
somewhere else entirely.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Juergen