Re: Solved: Failing to configure X on Woody

I have nearly acknowledged defeat on this one.

I had to setup an xserver on 5 machines for a solaris course next
week.  In an environment where historically Redhat and Mandrake
dominated the linux-world I wanted to make a point by using debian for
this.

So I used the mini-cd which installed very nicely. But I could not get
X to work after about 2 hours of experimenting yesterday.  Today I
went there again armed with additional CD's: Redhat 7.3, stormix and
libranet 1.9.

Both stormix and libranet failed to get X11 going while Redhat
installed without a problem.

So I installed Redhat on  4 of the computers while on the 5th I tried
again with debian - this time installing kernel-image 2.4.18.  After
the reboot gdm started without a problem with a nice looking Gnome on
the screen.

Apparently the 2.2.20 kernel does not have support for this setup: an
Intel 815 on board video card.

Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the
      Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and
      ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price;
      therefore glorify God in your body, and in your
      spirit, which are God's."      I Corinthians 6:19,20