Help: Unable to get Redhat Sys to rlogin to Debian

I've got a RedHat server, and a recently installed
Debian system on my lan.  I want to configure the
Debian to be the gateway to the internet (it has the
modem).

>From Debian I can log onto the RedHat system (or ftp,
or whatever).

>From the RedHat system, I'm unable to rlogin to the
Debian. I get:
 Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

I'm assuming my trouble is on the Debian system, in
hosts.allow and hosts.deny.  But I don't seem to be
able to get this to work.

I've even tried an empty hosts.deny (deny no one), and
in hosts.allow, I have ALL: ALL

Is there some other config file thats messing me up?