Re: What Are the CORE parts of Debian?

On Friday 21 June 2002 05:34 pm, Helgi Örn wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 20:23, Matthew Tedder wrote:
> > What exactly are the core, absolute minimum parts of Debian that would
> > need to sit on a CD in order to boot and install it to the minimal point
> > that one could then apt-get all the additional packages he/she wanted in
> > the future? Networking not even necessarilly required yet.
> >
> > Essentially, so one could make their own little distrobution by adding
> > the packages he/she wanted for this distrobution on the CD.
> >
> > Matthew
>
> Isn't it the *Network install from a minimal CD* you are after?:
> <http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/>

Yes--it likely is.  But what then does it comprise?  That's what I mean by
"exactly".  I presume the following:

-  The CD must be bootable
-  An installation program (what's it called and where is the source?)
-  A Kernel with a few generic modules
-  Some base libraries for dynamic linking
-  A shell program
-  A program to login a user
-  A package management utility for install/uninstalling .deb packages

Did I miss anything?  And I am looking for specifics--the above list is not
very specific.

Matthew

--
Anything that can be logically explained, can be programmed.