Re: X, KDE login, new monitor

On Tue, 2002-06-18 at 04:41, DSC Siltec wrote:
> I have debian Woody in a setup with KDE login (that blue login page with
> graphics options for such things as console login) installed.
>
> My monitor just blew.  Odds are, whatever monitor I get will have
> different specs, and X will have to be reset to the new monitor.
>
> Problem is, if the KDE login comes up in a SVGA mode, then I won't even
> be able to see the page to request console login.
>
> How do I most easily make the transition to my new monitor?

Do you have LILO installed?  If so, does it come to a prompt?  If so,
you can type 'linux single' (where 'linux' is the name of your kernel)
to boot into single-user mode (no X-server).  Here you can edit your
XF86Config-4 or run XFree86 -configure and get your new monitor to work.

If LILO doesn't come to a prompt or you have grub, you can switch
virtual consoles when the X-server starts.  The X-server usually runs on
VC7.  You can hit CTRL-ALT-F1 to get to your first virtual console.
>From this you can edit your config.

HTH,
Jeremy