Re: netatalk stopped working. help/advice needed

On Thu, 2002-06-20 at 22:30, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 06:07:47PM -0500, Michael Heldebrant wrote:
> > On Thu, 2002-06-20 at 17:04, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > > I have a small home LAN, two Linux i386 boxes, an iMac running OS 9.2, and a
> > > Mac 8500 running OS 8.6. One of the Linux boxes operates a diald/ppp
> > > connection to the outside, and netatalk for file sharing.
> > >
> > > I decided for no good reason to upgrade the ppp connection box from Potato to
> > > Woody. Now I cannot log onto file sharing from either Mac. ppp/diald still
> > > works OK, so the problem is not in the TCP/IP connection. The two Macs show
> > > slightly different symptoms. On the iMac I can log-on and get a directory
> > > display of what is on the server, but the moment I do anything, the TCP/IP
> > > connection is closed. On the Mac 8500, it behaves as if I gave it an
> > > incorrect password. I notice that the phrase "Two way encrypted passwords"
> > > is displayed in the login box on the Mac 8500. I don't recall that being
> > > there before the upgrade, but have no way to check this.
> > >
> > > I need suggestions as to how to debug this, please.
> >
> > What you need to do is read the man pages for the new password tool
> > (afppasswd) for netatalk.  Similar to samba you are going to add users
> > to the password file (-a) and then set up an excrypted password for them
> > to log in.
> >
> > --mike
> >
> Thanks. I had no idea that this new tool existed. But the man page assumes
> more knowledge than I have. I don't have any experience with Samba, for
> instance. So I have some questions that I hope you will answer:
>
> I suppose I must:
> 1. Create a password file, at first empty. ( using -c option )

Yes.  This is going to be afppasswd -c as root.  This I beleive will
scan the passwd file and add users to it with no password/file mounts
initially.

> 2. Put an entry into this file for each user to whom I grant access
>     (again using -c option)
Actually you should use the afppasswd -a your-user-names
This will allow you to set your passwords for your users.

> Can these be combined into one step?
Once the -c is done you can just add users as neccessary.

> Where does the path info that I give get stored? (I'd like to be able to
> check my work.)

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

> Is there a default name and location for the afp password file?
> e.g. /etc/netatalk/afppasswd ?

That is the exact file that is the default.

> What is the stuff about minimum uid? Explain what considerations affect the
> value I choose for this. Must I choose? Or may I ignore?

I have no idea what that means.  I didn't use it.  Perhaps a more
security conscious debian-security list lurker might know.

> Thanks, again.

You're welcome.

--mike