application profiling ???

We have a third party application that we are running under debian.  It
is a complex application that uses many executables, some of which are
not always running, are called by the main executable periodically; but,
the periodicity is not constant nor predictable.

One of these un-predictable processes is causing us problems.  When it
comes to life, always a new pid, it tries to grab *all* of the cpu and
it may live for many minutes.

We need to quantify our problem to the software developers; but, how can
we do this?

top is running and we can empirically see the problem, when it occurs
and when we happen to be looking.

How can we automate this profiling of this process?

What do you think?

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .