Re: console=/dev/ttyN

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 02:05:57PM -0100, andrej hocevar wrote:
| This was posted a little while ago here by Vineet but I don't have the
| mail anymore. The idea was to add the line append="console=/dev/ttyN" to
| lilo.conf. I've tried to add it to grub (the right way, I suppose, without
| quotes and the "append") but the results were a little different: at boot
| up there were less messages, but then came this one: "/dev/console:Program
| (and child) terminated." The chosen console got back to normal state as
| I switched to it.
|
| What's wrong?

You didn't show us your config, that's what <0.5 wink>.  Clearly you
didn't configure it correctly.

Here's what I did ended up with, after reading that email:

title       Debian GNU/Linux (2.4.18-custom.3 , 1280x1024x24)
    root        (hd0,0)
    kernel      /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-custom.3 root=/dev/hda1 read-only video=vesa vga=0x31B console=/dev/tty1
    boot

Last night my machine rebooted (power failure, I assume) but it had no
problems coming back up on its own.  I haven't checked to see if all
syslog messages go only to tty1 now rather than whatever the current
one is.

HTH,
-D

--

One man gives freely, yet gains even more;
another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/