aptitude vs. dselect

Hi,

I'd heard that it's better to use "dselect update" than "apt-get update"
because the former also updates dpkg's available database (which seems
to me is pretty important).

I've started using aptitude, but have gotten myself in the habit of
running "deslect update", and wonder if this is still necessary? Given
that the aptitude man page says that aptitude's update is "equivalent to
apt-get update", I'm guessing that I should continue with "dselect
update" as I've been doing.

Can anyone with some more knowledge confirm or deny that? I did download
the source, but (as the comment says) that particular section is a
little hairy, and so I thought I'd ask here if anyone knows off-hand
before getting myself tangled up in the inner workings of apt.

Thanks.
good times,
Vineet
--