Re: "Semi-Hot-Swap" of IDE discs (OT) - dvd

hi ya

> > Don't tapes get torn, munched and demagnetized?

be more careful in handling and storage ??

> It's been years since I've seen that, but _maybe_ (or maybe not)
> that's because I shell out USD3,000 for a DLT drive and USD60
> for DLT tapes...  I'm sure AIT has the same quality.

and yes...  a "good" drive helps...

> > Why not do backups on CD-R/RW?
>
> Hmmm.  Let's see:
> Max uncompressed storage on CD:       700MB
> Max Uncompressed storage on tape: 110,000MB (SuperDLT)

dvd's are good up to about 4GB.... abnd some newer ones
just announced are good for 100GB ...
	probably will be cheaper to get bunch of 100GB ide disks
	for $100 each than those 100GB dvd drives..

-- opps, took out too much of the who said what part... oh well..

c ya
alvin