Re: Woody+initrd+raid1+boot = :-(

Hi Eduard,

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Eduard Bloch wrote:

> The current md driver is broken-by-design in the autodetection issue.

Broken-by-design?  So there's a reason for this?

> You have to compile the driver into the kernel and mark the partition as
> type 0xFD to make it autodetecteable.

Since this is what I've always done since going Debian a year ago, I
haven't noticed this.  IMHO this is the simplest solution.

> When using modules, you will be forced to reconstruct the array from a
> userspace utility. I suggest, you install mdadm

Thanks for the pointer to mdadm.  When the first disk fails, you need to
know before the second disk fails and the array is irretrievably lost...
mdadm has monitoring and email notification; good stuff.

> add mdadm to /etc/mkinitrd/exe, then edit
>
> /usr/share/initrd-tools/linuxrc
>
> and add something like
>
> /sbin/mdadm -R -A /dev/md0 /dev/hdx /dev/hdy
>
> in the first lines. There should be an easier way of modifying the
> start-script of initrd, I am just writting a wishlist bugreport about
> that.

And all this just so you can compile the RAID stuff as modules rather
than in the kernel?  Sheesh...

By the way, have a look at my Unofficial Kernel 2.4 Root-on-RAID and
Root-on-LVM-on-RAID HOWTO:

http://karaolides.com/computing/HOWTO/lvmraid/

It's probably full of mistakes/omissions/inaccuracies, but since I found
that the current official HOWTO's are a bit out of date, I decided to
document my own experiences with the recent versions of lilo and add the
LVM stuff as well.

I have also successfully built a root-on-LVM (no RAID) woody machine (a
laptop, actually) using your LVM-and-RAID woody extdisk (thanks!) and the
bf2.4 woody floppies.  It booted just fine with the stock 2.4.18 kernel
that comes with the bf2.4 floppies, so I intend to document that too in
the HOWTO.

I'd also like to draw your attention to a post of mine from yesterday re.
woody on LVM which wasn't answered; I'd really appreciate some input:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/debian-user-200206/msg02783.html

Best regards,

|      George Karaolides       8, Costakis Pantelides St.,         |
|      tel:   +357 99 68 08 86                  Strovolos,         |
|      email: george@karaolides.com       Nicosia CY 2057,         |
|      web:   www.karaolides.com      Republic  of Cyprus          |