Re: Woody+initrd+raid1+boot = :-(

Hi,

Before we go into your message, which kernel version are you using?

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Thomas -Balu- Walter wrote:

> > # Better use the first BIOS ID for the disk we'll boot from;
> > # we'll use the BIOS setup to boot from this
> > disk=/dev/hdc
> > 	bios=0x80
>
> What exactly does that do?

When you install an MBR on a disk using lilo, lilo will use the BIOS ID
currently lilo thinks is currently assigned to the disk.  But when you
select the disk to boot from using the BIOS setup, you will change the
order of the BIOS disks so that the one you boot from has the first ID
(0x80); that is how the BIOS selects which disk to boot from first.  So if
you are installing an MBR to a disk you will boot from by selecting it
with the BIOS setup, you need to tell lilo to use the first BIOS ID
(0x80).

<snip initrd stuff>

> I did not even have to change the partition type to autodetect, since
> raidstart and such are available in initrd.

Maybe, but it's always a good idea...

> I am stuck and booting while simulating a broken secondary IDE
> controller.

Have you got it all working normally before simulating failures?  Can you
boot into the RAID from either disk, using the BIOS setup to select?

> If I take off the master cable (powered off of course) I can boot into
> the raid - and get the following messages:
>
> md: could not lock [dev 03:03] sero-size? Marking faulty
> md: could not import [dev 03:03], trying to mount raid nevertheless
> md: autorun
> former device [dev 03:03] is unavailable, removing from array
>
> So it just ignores hda and boots into the remaining mirrored hdc.
>
> But after rebuilding the raidset and removing the cable to the secondary
> controller i get:
>
> ide0 on 0x1f0-0x1f7, 0x 3f6 on IRQ14
> md: could not lock [dev 16:03] sero-size? Marking faulty
> md: could not import [dev 16:03]
> md: autostart [dev 16:03] failed
> /dev/md1: invalid argument
> Kernel panic, because of missing root.
>
> To fix I've tried to make the partitions raid-autodetect

That could have been a reason, but since it didn't work...

> created a new initrd (because the old one still had "failed-disk" in it)

Er, no, the initrd contains kernel modules and possibly user-space
utilities but there's no way the initrd can actually know about the
state of the RAID arrays so that couldn't have been it.

> and finally
> added "
>         disk=/dev/hda
>         bios=0x80
>         disk=/dev/hdc
>         bios=0x80
> " to lilo.conf.

This also couldn't have been it; the system boots from the installed MBR,
locates the kernel image and initrd and attempts to boot it, and then
attempts to mount the correct root device.  That is the end of lilo's
jurisdiction; the fact that /dev/md0 starts when /dev/hda is down
but doesn't start with /dev/hdc is down must be something to do
with RAID: the array itself (likely), the way the system starts RAID
(less likely) or the kernel RAID stuff.

> with no luck - any last hint before it finally works as expected?
>
>       Balu

|      George Karaolides       8, Costakis Pantelides St.,         |
|      tel:   +357 99 68 08 86                  Strovolos,         |
|      email: george@karaolides.com       Nicosia CY 2057,         |
|      web:   www.karaolides.com      Republic  of Cyprus          |