Re: usb mouse and XFree86 config problem

Bill from Tampa wrote:
I can't get X to run on my new woody installation (installed from the net
using the isolinux method). The base installation went well. I've tried
several times to generate an XF86Config-4 file --but none of them work (I
used XFree86 -configure, and also the ?debconf method). When I run startx,
it ends with an error message: "cannot open device /dev/input/mice  No such
device".

/dev/input/mice seems to exist, however. My keyboard and mouse are both usb.
The mouse is a HP wheel mouse with a left and right button and the wheel.
Both the mouse and keyboard were working perfectly under Mandrake 8.2, which
I have unfortunately nuked to install Debian (I know I should have looked
carefully at my XF86Config-4 file under Mandrake...) The keyboard works fine
with the console (don't know about under X, haven't gotten that far yet...).
I copied a usb mouse config section from an XF86Config-4 file that someone
kindly posted to this group in the past  -- it also didn't work with the
same error message. Here is the relevant section:

Section    "InputDevice"
    Identifier    "Mouse0"
    Driver        "mouse"
    Option        "SendCoreEvents"    "true"
    Option        "Device"                    "/dev/input/mice"
    Option        "Protocol"                "ImPS/2"
    Option        "Emulate3Buttons"    "true"
    Option        "ZAxisMapping"        "4 5"

Any ideas or suggestions? I installed the 2.4 kernel with woody, hoping it
would have more mature usb handling capacity. Do I need to link or configure
/dev/input/mice somehow, or is this a red herring?  Thanks for any help, as
I am stuck!! I even had to boot into XP to send this...

You will need to install USB support into your kernel, and I didn't get sane USB on my sid box until I installed the "hotplug" package.

Regards

Peter.