LTSP packages

I noticed that the ltsp.org has a series of GPLed debian packages for use in installing the lstp client/server files necessary.

I am wondering why these packages have not been incorporated into the Debian Package library as official packages?

I asked on the ltsp list and the response was two fold:

The lstp .deb maintaner was not yet on the Debian Team.
--Why can't someone sponsor him and get it in?

The ltsp .deb packages would have to be 'non-free' and Debian is discouraging non-free packages. I guess I don't get it. it's GPLed.

In any event. Even if there are packages of this type that are made available to Debian and Debian refuses to acknowledge them directly or indirectly, Debian is the one who loses.

Without doing any investigation, it appears that something like the ltsp.org project is supported by RedHat's RPMs and Suse. There's extra work involved in finding the Debian packages.

This would implicate that Debian doesn't have the technical support base on this project (and others?) and may lead someone to walk away from using Debian.

I personally think that Debian is one of the best run and most intelligent distributions I have seen over the last 6 years. But little holes like this turn into big problems when people are evaluating the distributions. I would have trouble convincing someone that Debian would be a good solution for a K-12 educational alternative when something that is this K-12 educational infrastructure friendly is not available.

I would like to suggest that we either get something like this incorporated into the Packages or, more importantly, consider an alternative to the non-free problems that plague a number of software packages out there that are not in the Debian-proper structure.

Would it be reasonable to develop a program wherein the Debian organization identifies project websites which do provide Debian packages, which, for some reason cannot yet be included into the Debain Package Tree at this time, however, present a status suitable to the Debian philosophy (including non-free?), some history of presence, and a Standard of Quality which is not derogatory to the overall Quality of the Debian distribution? These would not have to be listed in the Debian Packages, but merely have Debian.org provide a space on their website to reference the other projects (ltsp.org for example) that do provide Debian Packages which, for some reason or another, can not yet be fully incorporated (if ever?).

I think it is valuable for Debian to provide as much accessability to the software that is coming available. I'm unclear as to the exact details of the standards which restrict the lstp.org packages from being incorporated into the Debian Package Tree, but the value of a project like this should not be overlooked.

Thank you for letting me rant (a little). I am not trying to flame anyone, I'm just concerned that we may be missing an opportunity here.

--
 06:30:01 up 3 days, 12:45,  1 user,  load average: 0.27, 0.19, 0.23
Linux is the future...