Re: OGG wont do

On Tue, 2002-06-18 at 11:28, Helgi Örn wrote:
> By the way; I have been looking for a mp3 -> ogg converter without luck,
> does anyone here know if there is one such an app around or if this is
> at all possible?
> Is there a seperate Debian multimedia mailinglist?

There might be, but converting from one lossy audio codec to another
only makes matters worse, just leave mp3's as mp3's... and ogg's as
ogg's.

You could convert them by doing something along these lines. Decode the
mp3 back to waveforms (output to stdout, or file) and save this in a
wave-file. Oggenc the wave-file.

I've done this with some conference recordings which were made in really
HQ, high bitrate mp3's. I considered this a huge waste of disk (en
network) space, so I converted them to LQ (q0 or q1) vorbis files.

For speach this is more then enough (even music sounds acceptable) and
gave me a huge space saving (192+k/sec -> 40-50k/sec)

I however do NOT recommend you do this with music or sounds you want to
keep in a High Quality (just re-record from the original source, if
available)

--
Mark Janssen -- maniac(at)maniac.nl -- GnuPG Key Id: 357D2178
Unix / Linux, Open-Source and Internet Consultant @ SyConOS IT