Re: Can't get audio to work

> >   "The mainboard has a built-in AC'97 4Ch Codec, provides an AMR
> >    slot..."
>
> Ah... now THIS is meaningful.  I had a bear of a time getting this
> identical piece of dung working on my otherwise "cherry" computer.
> This next bit assumes that you're running sid.  I don't know how it
> is on potato.  You'll need to download the 'alsa-drivers' packages
> that matches your kernel-package version (e.g., I had to install
> 'alsa-drivers-2.4.18-k7').  You'll also want to install the
> 'alsaconf' package (although at last check, it was somewhat broken on
> sid, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it).  You'll want to
> select the "VIA 82xxx" chipset stuff as the driver.  Hopefully, this
> will make things work.  If not, send another message.

Stephen,

This creates other problems.  apt-get returns the following:

$ apt-get install alsa-modules-2.4.18-k7
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  alsa-base kernel-image-2.4.18-k7
  alsa-base alsa-modules-2.4.18-k7 kernel-image-2.4.18-k7
0 packages upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4  not upgraded.
Need to get 798kB/9655kB of archives. After unpacking 26.9MB will be
used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

I've in the past installed kernel-image-2.4.18-k7, but it wouldn't
boot, so I removed it and compiled the kernel from tar.gz from
kernel.org, not (as|from) a deb package.  I have to figure a way to
download/install alsa-modules-2.4.18-k7 without installing the
corresponding kernel-image.

Glen