Amazing init problem

I having a amazing problem with the init program
(/sbin/init). I'm using the Woody (almost upgrade)
Debian version, I compiled the Linux kernel version
2.4.18 with APM support, ACPI support and Wireless
support (three independient kernels) and one 2.4.14.

The kernels is load without problems, and the system
is working if I choose the 2.4.14 kernel, but I choose
any of the 2.4.18 kernel it is load successfully and
the init process stop when the following line is
printed

Init 2.84
and nothing more happen.
Until yesterday (when I defrag the linux partitions)
my computer was working whitout problem. I have
installed the sysvinit version 2.84-3.

What is wrong? What is happening? or What held I must
do to repair the system?

Thanks in advance

Hernán Joel