Re: kernel upgrade to 2.4.18

I'm trying to compile the exact same image on my Athlon 1700 system.  I've been
following this thread with great interest.  I've seen some good pointers from a
lot of folks.  Could someone please just put a dummy list of steps on how to
upgrade a kernel.  I've downloaded about 3 howtos but they are for compiling
kernels manually.  This seems to be another way (easier too) to do the same
thing.  If there already is a howto developed, please let me know.

Tim

p.s. for an athlon system do I need a special version of the kernel?