Debian Potato i386 newtork woes

I'm unable to find a driver that will load, that is
supposed to work with my SMC model 8216C internet
card.  The drivers all abort indicating a possible
address or irq error.

I've tried:
smc-ultra   (Used to work on a RedHat 6.0 system)
wd
tulip
ne

I've strapped the card, rather than use plug and play,
and I know it's at io 0x300 and irq 10.  I've tried
input these parameters.  The required 8390 module is
already loaded.

Windows 98 on the same computer can find and use the
card at that address and IRQ.

I even tried working a bit on the driver code to
hard-wire it, only to discover that apparently I don't
have the code for the driver that's delivered with
potato.

Any suggestions?