Re: Another guide for a diskless installation?

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 05:35:09PM -0400, debian.org@lkv.mailshell.com wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Thanks for the response:
>
> Indeed, there's no internal floppy either ... this is their ultra-light
> Pentium laptop.  The only type of floppy drive available to this machine is
> external, and it wasn't available to me when I bought the laptop.
>
> I also have no desire to keep anything Windows, so I would like to install to
> the partition that contains Windows, too.

There are two ways:

1. Boot via bootrom on nic (etherboot, dhcp, tftp and nfs). Mount your local
harddisk, partition it and install to it. (You will of course need
another computer in the same network to offer these services)

2. Use your Windows partition (disk) to hold the kernel (and the
driver files), use loadlin to start the installation process. As I
haven't installed lately the following is perhaps not accurate: To be
able to install the base packages (so apt-get will work) to /, you
will have to format at least one partition as a native linux fs (e.g.
ext2). But for the installation process to be able to read the base
packages, you must not wipe your current vfat partition. To get out of
this paradox, make some space, by deleting (uninstalling) most windows
programs, use fips, or (partition magic) to repartition and create a
small vfat partition that can hold the base packages. Start
installation (loadlin), (partition and) format hda1 as ext2, install
base from the other vfat partion, and the rest from the net.

Untested, just the way I would go about and do it.

Good Luck!

--
Note that I use Debian version 3.0
Linux emac140 2.4.17 #1 sön feb 10 20:21:22 CET 2002 i686 unknown

Hans Ekbrand