Re: Aptitude extended state file

On Sun, 16 Jun 2002, Joey Hess wrote:

> Kevin B. McCarty wrote:
> > Can anyone tell me what file is Aptitude's extended state file?
>
> It is /var/lib/aptitude/pkgstates

Hmm.  Well, the permissions on pkgstates look ok:
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       671804 Jun 16 12:52 pkgstates

I think this problem may have something to do with NFS.  My home partition
on this machine is NFS-mounted, and I use NIS to get user account info.
When I create a test user on the NIS/NFS server, aptitude gives the same
warning message for him on the client machine.  So does a locally created
user on the client whose home directory is on the NFS mount.  But a user
created locally on the client, with a home directory outside /home, does
not get the warning.

Do you think I should make this a bug report?  If so, against what
package - aptitude or some piece of NFS?

package versions are:

aptitude		0.2.11.1-2	(on both NFS server and client)
nfs-common		1.0-2				"
nfs-kernel-server	1.0-2		(on server only)

kernels are:
2.4.18-686-smp on server, 2.4.18-686 on client

Thanks for your comments,

--
Kevin McCarty                Physics Department
kmccarty@princeton.edu       Princeton University