Re: ACPI

Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x02 (Driver version 1.16)
> apm: disabled on user request.
> ACPI: Core Subsystem version [20011018]
> ACPI: Subsystem enabled
>
> (The 20011018 looks pretty old - is there a more recent .deb?)

That version number is the version of the ACPI /proc/ interface, not the
exact driver version. That's current in the 2.4.18 kernel. You don't say
what kernel version you're using.

> The installation of acpid (from the .deb, of course!) appeared to be fine,
> in that most of the appropriate directories and files were created
> (/etc/acpi, /etc/acpi/events, /etc/init.d/acpid) but acpid doesn't start
> on boot, and when I try to start it manually, it reports:
>
> acpid: can't open /proc/acpi/event: No such file or directory
>
> And, sure enough, that file doesn't exist.

Do you have anything in /proc/acpi? Along with the event file, you
should have an info file, and a battery/ directory with a 0/ or 1/
subdirectory with files in it, and perhaps a similar thermal/ directory.

> and my machine promptly shut down :)  (Suggesting that acpid is in fact
> working?  Or not - the logfile suggests that it just ran the powerbtn
> script.  And actually what it did was shut down to the point of telling me
> to "Power down" which, if that's what it's going to do, won't be as useful
> as I'd hoped.  That may depend on a BIOS setting, I think.)

That doesn't sound like acpi is working on your system; it should be
able to power it down.

You might want to try the newer version of acpi in the 2.5 kernel
series, or from their website. You might first want to build a kernel
with acpi debugging turned on. Here is a good start for your kernel's
.config for acpi:

CONFIG_ACPI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BUSMGR=y