Re: /etc/printcap with CUPS & Openoffice 1.0

[...]

nate> at the moment i have worked around it by printing to a file and
nate> using ps2pdf to convert to pdf and printing from adobe acrobat.

I can't really help you with your printing problem, since I don't print
From Star/Open Office, but you can save a step in your workaround.  If
you run spadmin, you can create a PDF writer which basically runs ps2pdf
for you.

You may also want to try converting the PDF file back to ps using
pdftops or pdf2ps (I don't know what the difference is, but they're both
installed on my system), and printing the resulting ps file.  I've found
that that sometimes helps with bad ps files.

It looks like what is happening is that Star/Open Office is generating
bad PostScript.  CUPS passes it off the printer driver, so as far as
CUPS is concerned, the file's printed.  The driver barfs on the bad
PostScript, so it doesn't actually send anything to the printer, but
can't notify CUPS that something's wrong.

PS.  Doesn't the LaserJet 4000 speak PostScript natively?  Or is it just
certain models?  If yours does, it may be worth using a normal PPD
instead of the foomatic driver.  A Google search on "HP LaserJet 4000
PPD" reveals http://hp.sourceforge.net/ where you can download such a
file.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/