Re: Mozilla fonts

Ross Boylan wrote:
I was playing around with fonts on Mozilla today, and noticed a number
of odd things.  I'd be curious if anyone can explain a bit more about
what is going on.

1. I can't find anything that controls the fonts used in the browser
menu bar and menus.  It looks as if the same font may be used on
displayed pages too, for example as the value of a button (e.g., "Go
To Download Page" button on the bottom of Debian package pages).
The font I'm getting is not too legible.

Fonts in the menu bar and menus are controlled by your gtk theme. Either change it with the Gnome Control Center or since you are using KDE, edit ~/.gtkrc. Mine has:

style "user-font"
{
  fontset="-ttf-times new roman-medium-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1"
}
widget_class "*" style "user-font"

Individually the fonts for the different widgets can be individually controlled with userChrome.css, but that is more complicated.

3. enabling_truetype.html in the package documentation describes how
to enable true type, but I think one of the Debian preferences already
has it enabled.  At any rate I edited the indicated file, and it's
definitely working now.  I'm not sure what order all the *.js files
gets parsed, or if the first or last setting of an option wins.
Anybody know?

I think the order is mozilla's internal *.js -> /etc/mozilla/prefs.js -> prefs.js in profile -> user.js in profile with later files' preferences overriding any preferences that were set earlier, but I could be wrong.

P.S. The Mozilla docs refer to user.js for preferences, but there
doesn't seem to be any such file.  I've just been editing prefs.js.

user.js can be created in the same directory as prefs.js. The advantages to user.js are that mozilla never writes to it so it can be edited with mozilla open and also since mozilla doesn't write to it it is much more manageable since it has less preferences in it than prefs.js. The disadvantage is that deleting a preference from user.js probably won't actually delete it since mozilla has probably added the preference to prefs.js so you instead have to change the value or remove it from prefs.js as well.