Re: Running something on start up and shutdown

Thanks, that's what I needed.

After consulting the policy manual, I decided the right thing was
for the script to execute on entry into level S and exit for levels
0 and 6.  The incantation for the script MSGateway is
    update-rc.d MSGateway start 90 S . stop 15 0 6 .
reflecting my judgement I wanted the system basically up before the
script ran on start up (priority 90, i.e., late) and I wanted the
shutdown to happen relatively early (priority 15).

I provide that account for the benefit of those who follow, and in
hope that someone will let me know if it was a mistake!

By the way, I'm not sure what the success thing was in the stop case
below; I got errors when I tested it and removed it from my script.