dpkg and memory

I've recently upgraded to woody (has some of the people here might
now, since I requested some help for that). I recently noticed
something: dpkg is taking a lot more memory that before. I had
noticed that dselect was slower, but I thought it was because of
some increase in the number of packages, but now I'm not so shure.
Any one has an answear for this one?

BTW, I'm running on a low memory system (32Mb), any ideas to improve
performance (besides installing more fisical RAM ;) ? What's the
best kernel for low memory systems? Or does everything just depend
on what you compile in the kernel?

Thanks in advance,

--
Paladin