Re: 'Shredding' a hard disk

Robert Waldner wrote:
Philipp Lehman writes:
>I want to sell an old machine that I don't use any more but there's
>still sensitive stuff like personal emails, gpg keys, and passwords on
>the hdd. What's the recommended way to securely 'shred' this data so
>that it cannot be undeleted by the next owner?

Depends.

But, for all practical values, a simple `dd if=dev/urandom bs=1M \
 of=/dev/hdX` should be quite sufficient.
Some people advise to repeat this procedure several times. Can anyone
explain why? I see no reason why one pass doesn't suffice.

sincerely,

Ivo Wever
I.J.W.Wever@student.tnw.tudelft.nl