Lexmark Z55 install

Hi all,

Apologies for the long post.  I'm trying to install the driver for the
Lexmark Z55 printer, downloaded from the Lexmark website.  Unfortunately
it is not Debian-ready; has compatibility with Mandrake Version 2.5, Red
Hat Version 7.0 and SuSe Version 7.0 according to the site.  I plugged
on in vain hope.  I have reached this point:

# sh lexmarkz55-1.0-1.gz.sh

The printer cannot be installed successfully unless it is connected
correctly.
1. Check all the printer cables.
-Ensure they are all firmly pushed in.
-Make sure your kernel supports USB and the modules are loaded.

(Selected /dev/lp0 manually, or /dev/usb/lp0)

Installing software..
An error occurred during the installation:
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 -
No such file or directory (2)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
while executing
"exec rpm -i --test $rpmfilename"
You may choose to ignore this error and force the installation.

(Yes)

Error: cp: cannot create regular file '/usr/etc.enscript.cfg': No such
file or directory while executing
"exec cp -f enscript.cfg /usr/etc/"
(procedure "addPrintcapEntry" line 43 (etc....)

I'm using woody, kernel 2.4.18.  I have parallel port, USB and OHCI
support configured into the kernel, and USB printer support inserted as
a module.  As yet I haven't selected 'support for user-space parallel
port device drivers' in my kernel configuration.

 From linuxprinting.org, I've seen a few posts regarding the
installation of this printer, and a suggestion that the driver
installation is dependant on the file structure of the system, which
might explain why I'm having no joy in my Debian system.  I have the
appropriate versions of enscript and ghostscript.

Is there anyone out there who can guide me or tell me to give up?
Should I ask Lexmark to provide Debian compatibility?  Maybe theres a
generic driver which could kick this dust-collecter into action?  And as
a final question, how long does one dabble/burn the midnight oil before
one exits newbie status?  ;-)

Thanks for your help.

Tim